Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm unhealthy

Over the last four to five months I've come to realize how unhealthy I am.  I don't have high blood pressure, I don't have high cholesterol, I don't take any daily medication, I work out 5-6 times a week so why am I unhealthy?  I'm unhealthy because at times I try really hard not to be me.  I'm unhealthy because at times I try really hard to do things to win the approval of others or so that others will like me.  I'm unhealthy because I let what others think of me define my mood.  I don't like being unhealthy.  I'm taking steps towards become more healthy which means becoming the me that God intended me to be.  Borrowing from the wisdom of Frank Green, Hugh Prather, David Nixon, Edwin Friedman, and Dan Brunner (to name a few) I've developed a Self Care Bill of Rights that I am trying to live by.  I'm sure there will be times when I will fail miserably and my glittering image will win the day, but I am trying to get healthier.
1.     I have the right to be responsible only for myself
2.     I have the right to change my mind
3.     I have the right to make mistakes
4.     I have the right to be wrong
5.     I have the right to be illogical in making decisions
6.     I have the right to say “I don’t understand”
7.     I have the right to say “I don’t know”
8.     I have the right to say “I don’t care”
9.     I have the right to not defend myself
10.  I have the right to be Terry Clees

1 comment:

  1. Can I borrow this and add:

    11. I have the right to cry.
    12. I have the right to have a bad day.
    13. I have the right to take time for myself.
    14. I have the right to be respected.
    15. I have the right to do something nice for myself once in a while and not feel guilty about it.

    I will change #10 though. I want to be me instead lol.

    \IiiI

    ReplyDelete