Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Voice of the Other


This blog post was born after reading Joe Skillen's blog (Joe is one of the smartest people I know) this morning. This is not a rebuttal to his blog, but a reminder that we need to consider the voice of the other. To get what I mean you might want to read his blog first. Here is the link: Skilly's Scribbles  

I saw a new Planet Fitness commercial the other day, this one contained a female bodybuilder. They portrayed her as ignorant and extremely masculine. I have really grown to hate the way Planet Fitness makes fun of bodybuilders. What makes it more frustrating is that Planet Fitness claims to be non-judgmental. After reading Joe's blog I thought about the connection between Planet Fitness' claims to be non-judgmental and the church's claims to be non-judgmental.

Both really try to accommodate the masses. However, in accommodating the masses and attempting to be non-judgmental to them they alienate the fringes of society. And, sadly, both have poked fun at the fringes in their attempt to show that they are not judgmental to those who look and act like the majority. Where does this leave those on the edges--how does it make them feel?

I would never step foot in a Planet Fitness, sadly this makes me understand why so many make the same claim about the church :-(

1 comment:

  1. Change your view a little bit once you were willing to look at it differently, and give it a chance?? Same way I feel about God..... And I'm BEYOND grateful that both of us stopped being so entirely judgemental.

    ReplyDelete