Saturday, July 2, 2011

Hateful, anti-Semitic bigot


Yesterday someone called me a “hateful, anti-Semitic bigot.”  I was blown away by this comment because I certainly don’t consider myself a “hateful, anti-Semitic bigot”.  I like to think of myself as a lover of all that God created.  In my studies I’ve grown to love hearing the voice of “the other”; “the other” being anyone who is not like me.  Yet, in a casual Facebook conversation I came across to someone else as a “hateful, anti-Semitic bigot”.  This grieved me.  I sought out an explanation, pleaded for forgiveness, but in the end the damage was done, both to someone else and myself.

It is a reminder to me to be sensitive to the concerns of others and to choose the words I use wisely.  I wonder if it had been me who approached the woman at the well if she would have thought I was a “mean, misogynist jerk” rather than the bringer of living water.  If I am to bring Good News to ALL I come in contact with I first must be loving.  No one who thinks you are a “hateful, anti-Semitic bigot” (or something similar) is going to hear Good News from you no matter how you dress it up.

1 comment:

  1. even with the best of intentions, preparation, and delivery our words are at the mercy of the hearer and his/her experiences and expectations.

    We do our best and have to trust that that is enough.

    ReplyDelete