Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Flag in Church

There has been a lot of talk lately about whether or not the U.S. flag should be displayed in our churches.  I consider myself patriotic.  I served 6 years in the army.  I have a son who sacrificed his way of life when his hummer was hit by an IED in Iraq.  I tear up when the National Anthem is played.  However, I have found myself questioning why when I preach on Sunday morning there is an American flag behind me.

The first thing that comes to mind is how does or would the flag make an international visitor feel?  Are we saying by displaying the flag that Christians should buy into the American way of life?  Some people may suggest that if they don't like it they can go back to their own country, but is that really how Jesus would respond.

The second thing that comes to mind is how does the presence of such a flag help us worship Jesus?  If it doesn't and I can't think of a way it does, why is it there?  Where did the tradition come from?

Many Christian churches will celebrate the 4th of July this Sunday with a Patriotic themed service.  They will celebrate how we loved our enemy and turned the other cheek...er, wait...

1 comment:

  1. I understand your patriotism, Terry. In my opinion, I feel it is inappropriate to have a flag in a house of worship. My allegiance is solely to God.

    ReplyDelete