Friday, June 29, 2012

Power of Love

The great theologian Huey Lewis once said: 
"You don't need money, don't take fame 
Don't need no credit card to ride this train It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes But it might just save your life That's the power of love"


I've been thinking about love, well really I've been thinking about theology which has led me to think about love. I saw this Peanuts cartoon about a week ago
and it really made me think.


I was reading Facebook posts this morning and I realized I have friends all across the Christian spectrum; from hard core right-wing fundamentalists to left wing Christian universalists. I also have friends who are Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and even self proclaimed atheist. I don't think I have one single friend who agrees with me 100% on theology, maybe some are close, but we all have our differences. However, I think all of us can agree that despite our different opinions the world would be a much better place if we concentrated on love. I know I probably sound like some hippie from the 70s, but really love is all we need. If we truly loved one another, which fits into the parameters of all the religions and beliefs I mentioned, then we would see a radically different world. We would see a world transformed. We would see an end to world strife. But before the world can be transformed the individuals must be transformed. It starts with us. It starts with you and I. Will you love today with a reckless abandon that might have a transforming affect on the world?



2 comments:

  1. I was a proud member of the Huey Lewis fan club. I still remember being so excited when I received my special members only Christmas cassette!!
    No doubt, Jesus meant what he said and knew what he was talking about. It's easy to love those that think exactly as we do..the challenge, and the only way to truly disarm other's...anger? Hostility? is through love.
    It could make the world go around man ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this angle, and can I just give you props for bringing Huey Lewis into the mix...he was kinda hot. In my personal musings, I've always thought this world could be a peaceful place if we all (citizens and world leaders alike) just said "please" and "thank you", used common courtesy, ya know? Like, Obama to Bin Laden: "Please be nice, Big O. Don't be a terrorist. It's mean. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Thank you." See? Totally would have worked! ;) "Love" is relative. I mean it shouldn't be, but it kinda is. I've had dudes tell me they love me...but did they really "love" me? I think not. I mean, I'm totally lovable...sorry, got off track there. Bottom line, I agree with you, Pastor. It has to start with each one of us. It's a wonderful dream that all humankind be loving towards each other. Sadly, I find it much easier to love those who are lovable. I love YOU, man!

    ReplyDelete