Thursday, October 18, 2012

Politics



I watched a train wreck materialize on Facebook yesterday. It started with one friend posting something negative about a candidate he disagreed with. . . it ended with two friends shredding their own dignity by stooping to juvenile vitriol. Maybe they made up through private messages or a phone call, but based on the angry tone of their back and forth posts, I doubt if that happened.

Why do we let politics ruin friendships? Why do we get so angry when someone disagrees with us? How can we be so arrogant to think that we are absolutely right and those that disagree with us are either misinformed or downright ignorant? When I was a mailman I hated the political season because of all the extra mass-mailings. Now that I'm a pastor I hate the political season because of all the times in the year it is the season where I believe we act the least Christ-like. Dare I say we even try to manipulate Christ to fit him into our own political shoe box so that we can claim exclusivity to divine love.

SMH 

No comments:

Post a Comment