Thursday, June 9, 2011

The BIG Three

If you know me you know that my two favorite "things" are Jesus and lifting heavy objects.  They don't really go together on first thought, but as I've grown in both spiritual and muscular development I've realized they have a lot of similarities.  Both require discipline.  Both require passion.  Both take commitment.  Both offer amazing rewards.

For many years I really couldn't put on much muscle.  I worked out hard, read the magazines, but nothing seemed to work.  I know muscle maturity played a part, but there was also something else missing.  Then I talked with a powerlifter at Iron City gym in Pontiac, MI and he said you need to devote yourself to the Big Three: Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift.  Up to that point I had been doing a lot of isolation and specialized exercises.  I took his advice and couldn't believe the great gains I made not only in strength and size.  The Big Three have been a staple in my muscular development ever since.

I wonder what the Big Three exercises of spiritual development would be.  There are a lot of different spiritual exercises and practices available.  If you could only participate in three what would they be?  Or  if you had to recommend three to someone struggling to draw close to Jesus what would they be?  Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the Big Three of spiritual exercises.

2 comments:

  1. First, I love that you're blogging...again? Is that right? I look forward to keeping tabs on you!

    Ok, let's see if I can make any sense here. I am down with the connection between lifting and your faith. You do a great job of comparing the two :)

    I am not a church goer. Not because I'm not a believer, not because I don't think I need it...because I do. It's been difficult for me to find a place I'm comfortable in. That may have more to do with me than with the place of worship though.

    My advice; pray, read the bible..really read it. Contemplate on what the message is, take it in and use it. The third I suppose SHOULD be attend meetings regularly but for me personally, it would be to surround myself with supportive, intelligent, like minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie! I love your big three! Authentic fellowship (koinonia) is really important and often forgotten. I wonder if we can practice koinonia online, like through facebook groups or bodybuilding.com or other online avenues???

    ReplyDelete