Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Pitbulls and a Cold

Not too long ago I laid in bed with a horrible cold/flu/food poisoning.  I ached all over and couldn't keep anything down.  The TV was on but I couldn't really concentrate on what was on it.  Besides the TV my other companions were my two pitbulls, Milo and Omega.  Milo cuddled close to me and had no desire to leave my side.  Omega laid at the foot of the bed with his head cocked listening for any sound that was unusual.  When he heard something he bolted from the bed on full alert patrolling the house for any would-be intruder.

In my over-the-counter cold and flu medicine stupor I thought how although I appreciated Omega's guardianship his constantly getting up and down was annoying; besides I didn't really need defended.  I did, however, enjoy Milo's presence--even if he was sleeping.  I then thought how God probably enjoys me in the same way.  God may appreciate my attempts at theology, evangelism, and apologetics, but he doesn't need any of it.  What God really desires is my presence.  God delights in spending time with me.  What an awesome thought!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this went in a totally different direction than I was thinking...GREAT! Very cool, Terry! I like it, and I believe you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well.....I know I'd rather just soak in Gods' presence, and I believe that He does delight in my presence, but he also told us to preach the gospel, go forth , don't forget about "the others"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, Jesus practiced presence way more than he talked about evangelism or apologetics, yet we (modern Christianity) do the opposite--we rarely practice presence and focus almost solely on getting some saved and proving others wrong.

    ReplyDelete