Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Paradox

I once remember saying "my scientific mind will not allow me to become a Christian."  I mean come on: three equals one, virgin and mother, human and divine, oh please that is just insulting to my intelligence and to the scientific method!  Little did I know my intelligence was simply a product of being taught Greek philosophy where A has to be A and A cannot be B.  That intelligence told me things like the Trinity and the Incarnation were nonsense.  Therefore I reasoned science and Christian religion were just not compatible.

My tune changed later in life when I embraced Christianity.  My motto was theology is the study of God through Jesus, and science is the study of God through nature; if they are incompatible than you either have bad theology or bad science.  And I still believe that, but instead of trying to have an answer for everything I have learned to embrace the mystery.  But how if science and theology must go hand in hand?  Shouldn't there be nice little formulas and equations that form an answer for everything?  And shouldn't everything be able to be "proved" by the scientific method?

I recently read this paragraph: "Quantum physics and astrophysics are filled with similar logical impossibilities.  Much of the universe seems to feed on paradox and the mysterious--everything from black holes to dark matter to neutrinos, which are invisible and weightless and yet necessary to keep matter and anti-matter from canceling out one another.  They have to be there--things don't make sense otherwise--but no one can prove it, because the scientific method cannot measure it or know it, except by its effects.  We have all heard how light is both a wave and a particle, and scientist long ago gave up trying to prove it was just one or the other.  It is clearly both--and at the same time!"  (emphasis mine)

Perhaps the world, the universe, isn't as cut and dry, black and white, either or as we once thought.  Why then as Christians do we feel the need to think everything has an answer and needs defended?  Why can't we embrace the paradox?  Why can't we embrace the mystery as the mystics of old did?

2 comments:

  1. I like this one, Terry. I can never understand how someone can believe in both evolution and creation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it depends on your view of creation...I don't believe in a literal, 6 24 hour day interpretation of creation, but I do affirm that God is the Creator. If he created through evolution I am cool with that!

    ReplyDelete