Thursday, September 15, 2011

Retribution Theology

I've been thinking of the many different ways in which we put human parameters on God's love.  The one that is currently sticking in my mind is retribution theology--the idea is that if something bad happens to you than you must have angered God or vice versa if something good happens to you than God must be pleased with you.  Retribution theology is so not God!  God loves us unconditionally.  We may base our love on how angry or pleased we are with someone, but God does not.  God demonstrates his love for us in this, while we were still sinners Christ died for us.  The whole idea that we somehow have to please God is overwhelming!  Imagine trying to please your relative who has everything--now imagine trying to please God who has created everything.  Impossible, overwhelming, and in my opinion leads to a defeatist attitude where we throw in the towel because we just can't do it.  God loves you unconditionally.  God loves me unconditionally.  However, we still try and hold on to retribution theology.  I still do it--I mean sometimes I am so sick that I actually think the outcome of my favorite team's game rests on whether or not I have angered or pleased God.  Talk about egotistical!

Let us simply enjoy the love God has for us.  And let us honor that love by loving others in a similar fashion.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to direct others to your blog Terry. You explain things in a way I seem unable to. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete