Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Skills



I have four skill sets that are pretty much useless.  I took pride in these skills as a youth and even practiced my craft whenever I had the opportunity.  Someday I dreamed maybe I will be able to do them professionally or even better maybe they would become an Olympic sport.  No chance.  I am left with skills that I can't even brag about to my kids because they don't really have a clue what I'm talking about.

Here they are:
1) I could dial a phone like nobody's business.  I knew exactly when to start the rotary dial going again without messing up the call.  My fingers fit the holes perfectly and I could even do the one to zero and back to one exchange flawlessly.

2) My arms are the perfect size and my tendons and ligaments have just the right amount of give in them to allow me to roll up a car window in record time.  I am the rare specimen that is ambidextrous when it comes to rolling open windows so I can get the drivers side just as easily and quickly as the passenger side.

3) I could go from channel 20 to channel 50 with a twist of my wrist on the television dial.  I never stopped short on channel 48 or 49, nor did I ever go past channel 50.  I was a wizard with the dial and not once did I wear out the dial like my father said I would.

4) Finally, I could go from a full squeeze on the gas pump, let go and nail the exact dollar amount.  I didn't have to slowly ease my way to the ten or, God forbid, the twenty dollar mark.  I went full speed and stopped precisely where I wanted.

Sadly, these skills are basically useless in our modern world which got me to wonder how many of the skills and tactics I've learned about leadership and evangelism have also gone by the way side?  It is an important reminder that we must remain teachable and always be looking to adapt to an ever changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment