Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Celebrating differences


It has happened!  Richard Clees, my youngest son, now wears the same size shirt as I do.  This causes problems when Catherine does the laundry (which is most of the time) because she doesn't know whether a shirt is mine or Richard's.  I keep telling her the Harley shirts with the clowns on them are Richard's and the Harley shirts with the pin-up models riding a Harley are mine!

Besides owning Harley shirts Richard and I are a lot alike.  We both like football and wrestling.  Stephen King's "It" is at the top of our favorite book list.  We both think Daniel Tosh is hilarious.  We both can't play Skyrim enough.  I could go on and on, but there are also a lot of differences.  Richard likes rap music, I do not.  I love reading theology books, Richard does not.  I rush everywhere, Richard does not.  I like Burger King, Richard likes McDonalds.  Again I could go on and on.  However, I like that we have differences.  I learn from the differences and sometimes I am exposed to new things I enjoy.  For example there are a few songs on my "favorites" list on my iPod that would never be there if it wasn't for Richard listening to them (Undead by Hollywood Undead is an example).  I also did not like Tosh. O even though I had not watched it, but when I did I laughed and laughed (did you know Daniel Tosh is a pastor's kid?)

As I though about all this I thought how we sometimes shun diversity and only want to hang with those who are like us.  I think we should celebrate diversity and learn from one another.  There is not another human being who doesn't have something to offer each of us.    

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love the wardrobe quandry! Amen to learning from differences too man!!! My boys are now 22 & JUST turned 26 & the differences between them are night & day let alone they & I! I can SOOO relate to the rap music deal too. Thank heavens for differences! It'd be an awfully boring place if we were all the same!!!

    ReplyDelete