Thursday, December 1, 2011

I said what?



This is my first blog post in over a month.  The reason for that is simple--my writing was focused on getting some assignments done for class and seriously getting started on my dissertation.  But I feel like crap today and want to do some writing that is really just for me.

Yesterday I went back and looked at some of the sermons I have preached during the Advent season.  I did this for two reasons: 1) I wanted to make sure I wasn't repeating the same stuff, 2) I wanted to kick start my mojo.  What happened was I became horrified.  "Really, I preached that sermon!?"  I exclaimed to whoever may have my office bugged (Concerned Nazarenes and The Society to Abolish Those Who Believe in Bigfoot).  My thinking has really changed over the years.  I've moved in my thinking on theology, politics, and even NASCAR.

This made me think about books I've read.  If my thinking has changed then I conclude that other people's thinking probably changed as they got older and more mature.  If I read an early book by Jurgen Moltmann (insert favorite theologian of choice)  does it really reflect his theology later in life?  And what about journals.  We Nazarenes are always quick to quote John Wesley's journals, but what Wesley wrote early on isn't necessarily what he believed and taught later in his life.  Therefore when we quote someone isn't the responsible thing to do is to add a footnote and write when that person said such a thing.

* My recent reading of Richard Rohr's "Falling Upwards" is probably a major catalyst for this blog post

2 comments:

  1. I always like to tell my kids they will change their views and ideas at least 20 times by the time they're 30. Not necessarily their root stance on certain things but how they approach things possibly?
    I am not one who can quote the bible so I will not try BUT I believe learning and research are emphasized. There is so much to think on, so much that we simply do not understand until we experience more of life.
    The fact that you are still learning and then teaching what you've experienced says a lot about who you are.
    I'm glad to see your post this morning! have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Such an overlooked truism! Even in our professional technical lives, the who we are at least 8+ hours a day, have the same thing! There are times I'll come across a process or program from years back & be horrified that I may have actually been proud of it at the time & of course with relationships ... well ... experiences vary dramatically as we ride life's roller coaster & as Ang said, it's hard to relate to that double inverted loop at the bottom of that BIG drop until you've ridden it through & kept that corn dog & elephant ear down LOL! Love the logic man!!! Thanks for sharing & have a blessed day pal!

    ReplyDelete