Tuesday, July 24, 2012

American Christianity X



I watched "American History X" last night. Yes, it is an old movie, and yes, I've seen it before (and yes, it is filled with swearing and violence). About 2/3rds of the way through I got a sick feeling in my gut (no, it wasn't during the shower rape scene). I got the feeling that sometimes and in some places  Christianity in America (that is all I can speak for) isn't much different than white supremacy groups in America. Both groups take injured or impressionable people and teach them to hate. Both groups are your friend as long as you think and act like them. Both groups ostracize you when you start asking questions and maybe even dare to change your thinking. Maybe it is a stretch or leap that I'm making, but I couldn't help seeing the parallels.

How have we taken love, manna, and mercy for all and turned it on its head so that we have a war over who has the rightful claim to what belongs to all??? My thought for this week is that I would try and win friends rather than trying to win arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment