Thursday, September 6, 2012

Diamonds in the rough



Perhaps before last night you had heard of Kevin Ogletree. I'm a football fan and a fantasy football fan so each year I read a lot of blogs, websites and magazines trying to decide who to draft for my fantasy football team. I never once considered Ogletree. In fact, according to a post I read this morning, Ogletree was not drafted in 97% of fantasy football leagues. However, last night he was a beast: 8 catches, 114 yards and 2 touchdowns. Those are outstanding numbers! If you were one of the three percent that actually drafted him and you played him (just because he was drafted doesn't mean he was started) I applaud you. Every year it seems someone comes out of nowhere to put up huge numbers. Last year it was Saint's TE Graham. Two years ago it was Peyton Hillis. The key to fantasy football is finding these hidden gems. If you just look at the established players you'll be ok, you may even make the playoffs. But if you want to be a fantasy football champion you have to find the diamonds in the rough.

Studying the Gospels is similar. I've been doing a sermon series on the Lord's Prayer and week after week I've unearthed something that I had previously over-looked. I never realized how much meaning there is in that simple model of prayer. When we study the Gospels if we just read through the words we will be ok. But if we want to get to the heart of what Jesus has for us, we have to dig deep and get a little dirty. Question everything--dig for answers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment