Monday, September 17, 2012

Free Will



Is there a phrase or sound that has the same affect on you like nails scrapping across the chalk board (some of my younger readers may not be familiar with the incredibly annoying sound). For me it is when someone says "everything happens for a reason" or "it was meant to happen." I just cringe when I hear or read those words. Ironically, sometimes it is true. Yes, your life is a mess for a reason--because of poor decisions! Yes, you lost your job for a reason--because you were late everyday! Yes, you got lung cancer for a reason--because you smoke two packs a day! And so it goes...

I get annoyed when we blame God (karma or some other mysterious force) for our poor decisions (or the poor decisions of others). I do not believe God is behind all the terrible things that happen, but I do believe God is working in the midst of the terrible things to bring out the best of possible outcomes. I admit, sometimes I am at a loss for why something happened, but rarely (never) do I shrug my shoulders and say "it must have been God's will" and walk away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment