Monday, August 15, 2011

Poor GPS



I took a drive a few weeks back to a place I was unfamiliar with.  I got out the GPS device that Catherine and I share and entered the address.  Within seconds I had to plug it into the cigarette lighter port (does anyone actually use a car cigarette lighter anymore?) because the battery went from 3 bars to a red bar indicating danger in a few moments.  I became worried when the scratchy voice told me to turn off the main road and follow a beat up road that looked as if no one had driven on it in months.  Matters became worse when after about 15 minutes down this frightening road the voice from the small box said "Satellite reception lost"...I had no clue where I was and now had no clue where I was going!

I'm not a big fan of the GPS device that Catherine and I share.  I don't like it for three reasons
1.  It loses its charge pretty quickly which requires it to almost always be plugged in
2.  It loses the satellite signal often which causes stress when you don't have a clue where you are
3.  It doesn't give the best route in my opinion

Using a poor GPS device reminds me of what it is to walk through life ignoring the Holy Spirit and following the way of the world.
1.  The things of the world may get you fired up momentarily, but eventually they leave you drained and exhausted
2.  The things of the world give us mixed messages and leave us completely in the dark when we need them most
3.  The way of the world maps out what may appear to be a shortcut but is filled with dangerous roads where one false step will lead to destruction.

Sadly, I have a lot of friends on a journey that are using a poor GPS device rather than relying on the Holy Spirit.  It breaks my heart to see them follow such a dangerous route.

No comments:

Post a Comment