Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Don't Give Up!

I've always wanted to be a writer. My elementary education records that my mother stashed away are full of awards for creative writing. However, in 1981 as I filled out my electives for my 8th grade year of junior high school, my writing career took a lethal blow. I was elated to see a journalism class, but to take that class you needed an endorsement by your 7th grade English teacher. I approached Mr. Alkema and  and asked if he would sign off on it. He looked at me in disgust and although I don't remember his exact words it was something along the lines of "no way in hell". It was at that moment that I developed a hatred for the academic subject of "English"and came to the conclusion that being a professional writer was simply a fantasy, like being a pro baseball player.

I often wonder why Mr. Alkema wasn't more encouraging. I wonder why he didn't take me under his wing and offer to help me master the English language so he could proudly recommend me for journalism. Did he realize he was squashing my dreams...was he just having a bad day that day?

When I felt the desire/call/passion to pastoral ministries (and writing sermons) there were some who looked at me, looked at my past and said in so many words "no way in hell". Thankfully, I had learned my lesson about listening to naysayers and listened to all those who spoke with encouragement instead.

King David was a man after God's own heart, but he also had naysayers. He was voted least likely to be chosen by God by his own father. Nabal mocked David ruthlessly and refused him help. God, however was there for David--even when King David made huge mistakes God was still there to lift him up.    

Maybe you feel like throwing in the towel and giving up on your dreams. Maybe, your friends and family have told you "no way in hell". Listen to God, listen for that still small voice. Listen to those that encourage. Above all, don't give up on your dreams.

1 comment:

  1. It seems that it's the negative comments we remember forever. Mr. Alkema doesn't remember that comment; but you do. You're a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete