Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Test Everything



I was up at 4 am this morning watching a show on the lost years of Jesus on the Science channel (I know about TiVo, I didn't get up to watch it, it just happened to be on and I happened to be awake). It was cool because they actually had legitimate scholars that I have heard of like Marcus Borg. Anyway what struck me wasn't the program, but the mantra of the Science channel--"Test Everything". I love it! We should test everything, especially our theology.


The scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. A theological theory should be similar. My favorite filter to run theology through is the Wesleyan Quadrilateral that includes: reason, experience, tradition and scripture. 


Science and theology should go hand in hand and not be bitter enemies. I once heard theology is God revealed in Scripture and science is God revealed in nature (I like it!). It seems to me if your theology is at odds with your science one of the two is screwed up. So keep testing, keep asking the tough questions and never stop considering that you may not be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment